After many rounds with “the ear infection”, we threw up our hands up in defeat and decided on tubes for Lila.  It was a long battle….3 months, 8 rounds of antibiotics and at least 10 doctors office visits…the infection was stubborn and I was tired of seeing LK  uncomfortable.  I think with each round of antibiotics they would work for a bit and she would start to feel better, and then slowly the infection would creep back.  We would know it was back in full effect when her appetite decreased and I had to have an extra few cups of coffee and a bit more concealer to hide the dark circles.

We saw the ENT Monday afternoon and scheduled surgery for Wednesday morning…such a quick turnaround and we really didn’t have much time to think about it before we were waking up with the roosters and loading Lila up for our dark drive to Cooks Children.  She was SUPER skeptical and totally knew we were up to something.  After the long process of checking in and getting her stats the nurse finally gave her the “silly juice”. It was then that my skeptical baby became a talkative goo-goo eyed little drunkard.  It was pretty comical and it made me feel better that she wasn’t as anxious as she had been.  Once she was fully “silly” they came and took her away.

Chris and I promptly pulled out our contraband snacks of an energy bar and banana and demolished them….”no food by mouth” was tough for Lila, but she at least got silly juice…I was starving!

The nurse led us to a small consult room and about 5 minutes later (!!) the doctor walked in to let us know that everything had gone well.  (Still in shock by how quick the whole deal is by the way) He said both ears were equally bad which wasn’t a shock and was we expected. If we needed validation that we had made the right choice that was it!

As he left we heard a child crying…and it took about 3 seconds to realize it was ours.  We were told to wait in the room and the nurse would come get us…… but I could hear her about going crazy. That was the worst part of the whole day! Luckily the nurse came through the door nanoseconds before I burst through the halls pulling back curtains to find her.

We were led to a curtained area where we were presented with a screaming demon…..The nurse assured us the back arching screaming scene we were experiencing was normal due to the anesthesia and she wasn’t in any pain.  I tried to console her but eventually it was Chris who got her calm. Something about dads and daughters 🙂  It took a solid 10-15 minutes for her to come out of the haze and after getting her to eat a Popsicle and drink some water we were free to go.  Her hunger level after surgery is proof she is my child.  It was clear 2 minutes out of the parking lot that the Cheerios I was offering were not going to cut it.  After a bit of internal debate I was finally brave enough to risk possible nausea and pulled out the waffle we had stashed “just in case”.   The picture is her mid waffle. Thankfully everything remained in her tummy and by the time we arrived home she was much happier. The rest of the day was pretty uneventful…lots of nap and TLC and Lila is good as new! We have heard that kids with tubes often have behavior and developmental changes after the surgery because they can often hear better and aren’t in pain… Whatever happens I’m happy this day is behind us and happy LK is getting some relief!

Much Love –  Christy


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: